Flash game creation tutorial – part 1

March 14th update: part 5.3 released.
March 3rd update: part 5.2 released.
February 9th update: part 5.1 released.
December 31st update: 5th part released.
December 23rd update: 4th part released.
December 6th update: 3rd part released.
November 18th update: 2nd part released.

This is a quite long tutorial, so I decided to split it in pieces.
It started as a didactic example about flash game creation.

After compiling the script and successfully made your flash file, it is recommended to upload it to a stable and reliable top hosting sites to make sure that your site is up and running all the time.

First of all, I got inspiration from Ball Revamped series (do not remember the link, search it on Google), but I’ll add a lot more features. That means more than… two.

Let’s start creating the main character.

The hero

Ok, I said I am going to create the Ball, our hero.

So at the moment our hero will be a red circle with a yellow circle inside. It looks good! Maybe you should print it and keep it on your bedroom wall.

First of all, let’s think about our interaction with the hero. Basically, I want the hero to move when I press a key.

He will move to the left if I press left key, to the right if right key is pressed, and so on.

So the first hero actionscript will be:

It’s easy, isn’t it?

The enterFrame event simply checks if a key is pressed, and increases or decreases the hero x or y position according to the key pressed.

Click on the movie and press arrow keys to control the hero, click on “reset” to.. hm.. reset the movie

The Power

Well, you will notice that our hero always moves at a fixed speed.

I want to set up a variable to store the speed, so if I want the hero to move faster/slower I only have to change one value.
This is very important since I am planning to develop different levels where hero speed may vary.

I need to set up a “power” variable to move the hero fastly or slowly.

Now you can change your hero’s speed just adjusting the power variable.
The higher the power value, the fastest the hero movement.

The Speed

That’s quite better than before, but our hero always moves at the same speed, and always starts without moving.

Now I need some kind of acceleration, and eventually some initial speed.

Notice how I reduced the power from the previous example (3) and this one (0.2).
Now that the power increases the speed, I need to play carefully with it or our hero will move too fast.
I have a yspeed and xspeed values starting at 0, but I can change them to make the hero move as he enters the frame.

Now, the more you press a key, the more your hero gains speed, the harder is to change direction.

Good.

The Fritcion

But now I want a friction, because I do not want the hero to move forever if I don’t press any key.
I want the hero to slowly stop moving if no key is pressed.

So I introduced a friction, minor than 1, that will affect hero’s speed. Now, when I press a key the hero starts moving, but when I release the key the hero will slowly stop. How slowly? The higher the friction (always minor than 1, remember), the slowly our hero will decrease his speed.

The Gravity

I said I wanted to do something similar to Ball Revamped, so I need a gravity. The hero will fall according to gravity strenght.

So I replaced the friction with the gravity for vertical movements. If I do not press UP arrow, the hero will fall down. When you read this line, probably the hero has fallen outside of the movie (you’ll see how to prevent this later in the tutorial), so you may need to click on reset to place the hero at the center of the movie.

The Thrust

If I have gravity, I need a thrust. I want to be more complicated to move up since my hero is living in a world where gravity exists.

As you can see, thrust (again minor than 1) affects the UP movement, making it weaker and more complicated to accomplish

The Wind

What’s now? Sure, the wind!
I want to make the stage look windy, you know, heros’ life is complicate, so that’s it!

Wind affects side movements, if positive will move the hero to the right, if negative will move the hero to the left.
Play with all those variables wisely and find a perfect mix of realism and playability.

The Rotation

Now, the final touch. Just like in Ball Revamped, I want the hero to rotate clockwise when moving to right, and counter clockwise when moving to left.

That’s easy, I only need to se the hero rotation equal to his xspeed.

This is where the first part ends… leave me feedback and tell me what do you think about it.

Here it is a zipped file with all source codes explained in this tutorial.

Continue with the 2nd part

Rate this post: 1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (371 votes, average: 4.74 out of 5)

1. qhiiyr

on October 30, 2006 at 1:35 am

Great tutorial! I’ve been wanting to learn actionscript, and this is a great introduction to it. One thing though: I think the last flash demo window (when the ball is supposed to rotate) is the same as the first one. Whoops!

2. santosh maharana

on November 3, 2006 at 2:13 pm

this is a very nice tutorial. becoz this script lets you to control the caracter just like a game.
    thanx to those brillient mind who had given this idea.

i request you, that Will you please send me some tutorials for aading nice effects to the text alongwith animation only via script not by frame.

Regards

santosh maharana
    (web developer)

3. André Pinto de Oliveira

on November 3, 2006 at 4:50 pm

Hey.. is a cool and easy tutorial… =]

tks.

Regards…

4. Mat

on November 10, 2006 at 5:34 am

Pretty neat tutorial, I was looking into flash for some small game creations instead of XNA while I wait to get out of high school and into college. I think i’ll try this one and some others i found.

Thx,
    Mat

5. V34

on November 12, 2006 at 3:33 am

Hello, thanks for making this tutorial. But as the first said. The last and the first The both are /downloads/just_move.swf (:

But i learned alot from these tutorials, and you keep it simple. Thats nice. Thanks alot!

on November 12, 2006 at 9:03 pm

Fixed

7. morgan

on November 13, 2006 at 2:07 am

hey the tutorial really helped me out alot seeing how i started flash just recently

i have a question though

how would you stop the ball from moving on contact with a wall or platform or boundary

i tried to figure it out my self many times and here were my problems

1.when i hittest the wall i made the xspeed = 0, but the meant that couldent move left off the wall either

2.i fixed that by saying if (hit test the wall) xspeed = -0.1 which nugged the ball off the wall and let me regain left control again, but the friction property carried the ball threw the wall

3.then i made it so friction is off and xspeed=0.1 and that works almost perfectly, and i say almost because now what happends is the ball goes a little bit into the wall and then is pushed back out, which works and you barley notice but looks really sloppy

so could you show me how to use those same physics including gravity but stop on contact with walls and esspecially the ground, im trying to make a little jet pack kinda game

on November 13, 2006 at 2:18 am

Hi morgan,
    I will explain during next days all kind of collision of our hero

9. morgan

on November 13, 2006 at 9:10 am

thanks alot thats good

because ive been yelling at my computer screen for 2 days now

great tutorial by the way, the code is simpler than anyone elses ive seen and by far works the best

and i hope your tutorial covers oddly shaped terrain because if i have to figure it out myslef ill probly rip the screen or my laptop before i figure it out

10. morgan

on November 15, 2006 at 6:00 am

hello

i tried somthing and i was hoping you could tell me what i did wrong

i had the wall return a hittestboolean GRAVITYALLOWED=false

and the code at the bottom of all you have up there inside the ball went like this

if(gravity allowed=true)
    xspeed*=friction
    yspeed =gravity

if(gravity allowed =false)
    xspeed*=friction
    yspeed=0

why does it sink threw a little before stopping!?

if i drop the ball from high enough at the begining it goes almost all the way threw my little box for the ground
    by the way im really looking forward to more of ur tutorials

on November 15, 2006 at 11:28 am

It depends on how do you check the collision.
    Second part is coming in a few hours…

12. Flash game creation tutorial - part 2 at Emanuele Feronato

on November 18, 2006 at 10:31 pm

[...] Read the 1st part and you’ll be ready to follow me with the game creation. [...]

13. Conor

on November 19, 2006 at 7:13 pm

Why are there errors even though I am copying the actionscript from the tutorial?

When you draw the ball, how do u make sure that it is the ball that you’re moving?

on November 19, 2006 at 8:25 pm

You should paste the code in the hero istance in the main scene.
    See the source code I provided.

15. Sphankey

on November 24, 2006 at 12:16 pm

Quite cool I must say. But I’m not sure if I need it.

You’re good man.

16. Polska Liga Soldat

on November 26, 2006 at 2:42 pm

Nice tutorial about basic of physics in 2d world :-)

17. dhaval

on November 29, 2006 at 12:51 am

hi,

this is really cool tutorial

but i have littel question

after i finish this game. it was working fine.

i solved the problame about the coin out side of wall

but now my hero is not hitting the coin.

i try to arrange it with right cliick.

but some time it goes from the top of the coin, some time beneth the coin.

it is not hitting the coin.
    can any budy help me please.

thanks

dhaval

18. Yoki

on November 30, 2006 at 7:05 pm

such a great tutorial for me… Thanks to the one who made this tutorials… i’ve learned a lot of this…

19. Sean

on December 4, 2006 at 4:00 am

My ball keeps on moving really really fast and i don’t know how to slow it down.

The tutorial is great

20. RDFNWY

on December 6, 2006 at 11:05 pm

Where do i start from scratch, like what do i do with those script code? Is there a program?

21. Joshua

on December 14, 2006 at 12:45 am

Best tutorial ever. Showing a sample after each step makes everything so much better!

22. guesswho

on December 14, 2006 at 4:14 am

it’s a great strip, but when I did the first step it went just fine.On the second step it din’t change the speed. maybe it’s because I kept ONE action script instead of many, i dont know how to make numerous scripts for one symbol.

plz help
    thanks in advance,
    guesswho

23. guesswho

on December 14, 2006 at 4:18 am

sorry when I said strip I meant tutorial
    ahhh whoooooops
    ‘.’

24. CoolGuy

on December 14, 2006 at 8:29 pm

so u make the hero then u create an actionscript?

25. guesswho

on December 16, 2006 at 1:03 am

reply to CoolGuy:

yes. Draw and make the character, then make it a symbol. I find it works better when you make it a movieclip. Click on the hero you made. Open the actionscript and start writing the code.

26. Sneha

on December 16, 2006 at 6:25 pm

Great tutorial!!

27. alex

on December 17, 2006 at 6:55 pm

this has to be the most easiest, fun and more of an understanding that the other tutorials i have read. this has to be the best one ever made

28. Amen

on December 18, 2006 at 9:29 pm

nice tutorial, i like it

thank you.

29. Ravikumar

on December 19, 2006 at 11:16 am

hi
    I am present learning scripting.
    this is the nice tutorial for me.
    i learn more from this tutorial.

30. Fire Caller

on December 20, 2006 at 12:12 am

This is a 100% great tutorial. I have been looking hard for a game tutorial with immediate results and this is it. Just one problem, when I finish my game, the ball speed is jerky and slow.

31. Flash game creation tutorial - part 4 at Emanuele Feronato

on December 23, 2006 at 6:27 pm

[...] Read steps 1, 2 and 3 if you’re new to this tutorial, then follow this one. [...]

32. Salman

on December 24, 2006 at 10:20 pm

Hey it’s a really kewl tutorial. But it only has one problem. You didn’t explain everything very well. Sorry to say that but it’s true. Maybe if you explain everything a little bit more, then more people will come and try to learn from your website. ☺

♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫

33. Salman

on December 24, 2006 at 10:25 pm

how did you even create the ball????

34. Zach Hill

on December 31, 2006 at 10:50 am

I am *trying* to make an extensive flash game or even a full game with my friend. This tutorial you have compiled looks promising, so I will try it. Thank you!

By the way, I found the Ball Revamped series:
    [http://www.ebaumsworld.com/ballrevamped.html]

35. Flash game creation tutorial - part 5 at Emanuele Feronato

on December 31, 2006 at 11:24 pm

[...] Read steps 1,2,3 and 4 and you’re ready. [...]

36. Francois

on January 4, 2007 at 10:23 pm

Wow great tutorial, one can never learn to much action script. Out of all the game tuts I’ve read up on, this is my favorite.

Thanks!

37. yura

on January 4, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Hey. Got to tyhe first part but is says i have an error the error is the following=Scene=Scene 1, Layer=hero, Frame=1: Line 1: Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances.
    see that is the error and my hero wont move so plz email me and tell me what i did wrong???

38. yura

on January 4, 2007 at 10:47 pm

hey never mind i found what i did wrong. i didnt put the hero on moviescript

39. Justin

on January 5, 2007 at 7:51 pm

What was the action script used for the reset button?

40. Vitor

on January 7, 2007 at 1:14 am

Nice tutorial indeed. Simple, easy to understand, simple code and goes direct to the point. Nice work.

41. ben

on January 8, 2007 at 1:06 pm

hi i am in need of a tutorial to help me make a game which involves asking and answering questions

42. Hugh

on January 9, 2007 at 11:21 pm

hey, I just started this tutorial with a high interest in flash, and game design. I thought I should try out this tutorial, and everything was going well up until you asked to put in a variable for the “hero’s” speed. I keep being told that the variable was incorrect and cannot be used until its fixed. I believe that this is caused by my lack of experience in flash. please get back to me, prefferably by email, which I left.

Thanks,

Hugh

43. DocBleach

on January 11, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Hi, thanks!
    This tutorial has been really helpfull thanks!

44. attacklvl98

on January 19, 2007 at 8:50 pm

great man!! i just started flash a.s. and this really helped 1 question though. how do u make the ball rotate the same way of the arrow that you are pushing?

45. attacklvl98

on January 21, 2007 at 9:00 pm

ok lol maybe my thing didnt make sence…the reason why i am asking is because my ball just keeps a constant rotation no matter what i do..how would i make it rotate in the direction that i push? (is that more clear) lol

46. Flash game creation tutorial - part 6a at Emanuele Feronato

on January 24, 2007 at 12:36 pm

[...] First, if you haven’t done it yet, read all steps from 1st to 5th, then here we go. [...]

47. flash the hedgehog

on February 1, 2007 at 3:31 am

Great tutorial, im getting flash 8 soon, probably. Anyway, this tutorial will probably help me a lot when i get it. Im thinking of making a sonic the hedgehog flash game for my website. MAybe even a sonic battle flash game.

48. Skylog » Blog Archive » links for 2007-02-02

on February 2, 2007 at 8:22 am

[...] Flash game creation tutorial (tags: programming) [...]

49. helper monkey

on February 2, 2007 at 6:29 pm

great tutorial!! but one thing i like to add to my games like that is:
    if (_y 400) {
    _y = 0;
    if (_x 550) {
    _x = 0;
    this will make it so that when the hero goes off one side of the screen, he comes back on the other!! =)

50. helper monkey

on February 2, 2007 at 6:33 pm

sry bout that stupid moderation took half the script out :(
    -attacklvl98,
    all you have to do is put in
    if (Key.isDown(Key.LEFT)) {
    _rotation -= 15;
    then the sme for right, except adding the rotation.
    hope this helps! =)

51. Zee7

on February 3, 2007 at 10:05 am

sir i learn your gamming tutorial in flash its realy intresting but here is a little problem and its that you did not put high detail with you tutorial.

Anyways its realy good i will get many things from your tutorials.

Sir i hope you know flash coding very well i just want to ask one thing to you that are you only work in gamming i mean do you make flash base wensite……..

if you will write tutorials on full flash base scripting.then i will be thanksfull to you.

sir i am webdesigner and currently designing websites in flash but i dont know flash coding very well..

I hope that you can help me sir i will wait for your new tutorials ..

Sir i will be thankful to you if you send me tutorials that i require ….

thanks for readin this message………….please reply me back either you want to help me or not …….please

With best regards.
    Zee7………….^^

my email address is zee7_idol@yahoo.com

52. Zee7

on February 3, 2007 at 10:17 am

sir i realy want to know about flash scripting and i cant learn this from our country i mean l live in pakistan and i have limited resources at here i mean i cant learn about flash scripting at here…………but i visit you site and i dont know why am i writing these things..

But my heart i saying that i will get something from you.sir now i am depend on you i mean i will wait for help from you.

sir i just want to know full flash website coding level.I told you befor that i am currently making full flash sites.

Please contat me i realy need you help and hope that you will be prove yourself a great leader for me..

Thanks for reading these messages……….thanks ..thanks

must reply back ……

53. Create a flash draw game like Line Rider or others - part 2 at Emanuele Feronato

on February 6, 2007 at 2:03 am

[...] Lines 1-5: These instructions are execute only once, when the ball firstly appears on the stage. If you followed my flash game creation tutorial you are familiar with those instructions. I am defining ball x and y speed (set to 0, the ball does not move) and the gravity. [...]

54. attacklvl98

on February 6, 2007 at 3:33 pm

thanks helper monkey that fixed the problem.

c u guys later

55. Ian

on February 7, 2007 at 3:11 pm

very simple and easy to understand tutorial, great introduction to flash game programming due to the lack of complicated maths

56. Glucozade

on February 12, 2007 at 8:32 pm

my script doesn’t work..when i try it, it says

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 1: Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) {

what that about?

plz help.

(im hoping to get my skills good enough to make a small but fully playable game)

57. glucozade

on February 12, 2007 at 8:53 pm

im getting the same problem as yura, but i dont know how to turn the hero in to moviescript(?). can anyone please help me?

PS can i use a sprite from a game instead of the ball?

58. Glucozade

on February 12, 2007 at 9:35 pm

ARGH!!!! im getting frustrated here. my script isnt working:

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Sonic, frame=1:Line 1: Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) {

Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

This message always comes up. WHY?!?!!? Somebody plzzzz help me

59. glucozade

on February 13, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Never mind i fixed it somehow

60. Daniel

on February 25, 2007 at 12:41 pm

Great tutorial m8!

Really helped I changed the ball for a ship but used the same movement code (-wind) as a starship game it works great.

thanx alot

Dan
    Graphic Designer

61. ronald

on March 1, 2007 at 4:01 pm

just started with flash and i didnt know anything about it
    thanks to your tutorial i’m starting to get it
    i only think that u should make a part 0.1 to show people where they should put their scripts, because i couldnt find it, anyway thanks for the tutorial .

62. mario

on March 2, 2007 at 1:25 am

It does not work, because there is no instance attached to the script.

thanks

63. Flash game creation tutorial - part 5.2 at Emanuele Feronato

on March 3, 2007 at 3:24 pm

[...] Code optimization In tutorials 1 to 5.1, I always include the ball actionscript in the ball object. This is correct, but it might create confusion when you have to deal with a lot of objects. [...]

64. Create a flash draw game like Line Rider or others - part 3 at Emanuele Feronato

on March 4, 2007 at 7:35 pm

[...] Line 6: introducing the friction… to know how to apply friction to a ball, refer to flash game creation tutorial part 1 [...]

65. mario

on March 6, 2007 at 7:59 am

tutorial will not work for me. there is no instance attachment.

66. Ryke

on March 14, 2007 at 7:01 am

Just wondering, what does the thrust do anyway

67. Flash game creation tutorial - part 5.3 at Emanuele Feronato

on March 14, 2007 at 12:50 pm

[...] Read tutorials from 1 to 5.2 if you haven’t done it already and follow me in the game creation. [...]

68. Flash game creation tutorial - part 3 at Emanuele Feronato

on March 14, 2007 at 12:58 pm

[...] Remember to read 1st and 2nd part if you are new to this tutorial, and let’s go. [...]

69. Fittan

on March 15, 2007 at 5:47 pm

action script suck, it never works. i always get up errors all the time

70. ksk

on March 16, 2007 at 5:05 pm

keeps giving me error messages plz help

71. Kyle Poole

on March 22, 2007 at 5:20 pm

Ok, here is the stupidest question ever, HOW DO I OPEN ACTIONSCRIPT? I cant figure it out, i have a ball, but i cant even see the actionscript window to type that stuff in, or do you not even type it, im totally a newb at this so far, but right now im trying to use flash durings chool, and its slightly difficult so far, so how do i do that? or do you have a tutorial that i can go look at elsewhere? ty!

72. Tunnelball: design a level for this flash game at Emanuele Feronato

on March 24, 2007 at 12:43 am

[...] I want you all to play TUNNELBALL, a complete flash game I developed using most of the topics covered in tutorials 1 to 5.3 [...]

73. LRG

on March 28, 2007 at 1:30 am

I was wondering how do you change a script to a game that is my problem.

Also…Nice

74. shwagman

on March 29, 2007 at 10:39 am

was very informative and easy to learn, thanks a ton! you don’t know how happy this has made me!!

75. radcobra

on March 30, 2007 at 4:03 pm

the ball is too fast i tried changing power and thrust but no use and i even change the fps
    would someone tell me what should i do

76. serkan

_x = 120;
    _y = 120;
    _root.bscore -=2;
    if (_root.coin.hitTest(this.hero_hit)) {
    _root.coin._x = Math.random()*400 50;
    _root.bscore =2;

as you have seen ı have only changed the keys to a s d w with their codes but ı am getting and he is the error “**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=hero2, frame=1:Line 11: ‘)’ or ‘,’ expected
    if (Key.isDown(Key.65))

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=hero2, frame=1:Line 14: ‘)’ or ‘,’ expected
    if (Key.isDown(Key.68)) {

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=hero2, frame=1:Line 15: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler
    xspeed = xspeed power;

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=hero2, frame=1:Line 16: Unexpected ‘}’ encountered

Total ActionScript Errors: 4 Reported Errors: 4

any idea why???

77. R3AP3R

on April 3, 2007 at 2:45 am

i want to learn to make flash games but i understand the html a bit but where do i put the html to get that ball screen wordpad? or another program?

78. smritii

on April 4, 2007 at 9:54 am

hi
    this is great tutorial for game designing
    i found a path and initial start for flash games

79. sam

on April 4, 2007 at 3:29 pm

hey…i was making a car racing game and didn’t need gravity, wind etc.
    so i tried to use the friction code. i put it into my car MC and got this error…

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=3:Line 1: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=3:Line 13: Syntax error.
    7. onClipEvent (enterFrame) {

Total ActionScript Errors: 2 Reported Errors: 2

please help me…

other than that, the tute was good and easy to follow :D

80. sam

on April 4, 2007 at 3:58 pm

also…when my other problem is fixed….it came to me that i would need to put something in to make the finish line determine who wins (p1 or p2)
    and bring up a winner screen…i know sort of about hit test but i would like to be able to make it that you have to do say 3 laps before the win screen comes up…and make it so somebody couldn’t cheat by just reversing straight into the finish line…

i know that probably didn’t even make sense…oh well please get back to me soon…

Sam. o_0

81. Omar G.

on April 7, 2007 at 4:15 am

hey do you think you could make a fighting game tut that covvers walk and hiting combos and enemy AI. im tring to make a fighter and i need help on Ai and combos , heck i even need help on making the dang character walk (the animation of him walking). i think you tuts are easier to understand and more detailed which is way im asking, so do you think you can help me out?

or could you email one to me
    my email’s legean1@hotmail.com

82. sam

on April 7, 2007 at 2:06 pm

hey Omar….this probably wont help and ur probably way better than me at flash anyway…but oh well
    if by the character walking u mean for example when you press right the feet move then this one might help you….http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial/Walking-Movie-Clip/2422
    look at the source file…and see how there r frames of the walking animation in the moviclip…and in the script it says when you press a key…it plays…if that makes sense i hope it helps…

this dude hasn’t seemed to reply for a while…i like awesty…try him on…www.awestyproductions.com

83. Omar G.

on April 8, 2007 at 1:49 am

thanks ill check them out

84. J-Dizzle

on April 8, 2007 at 11:58 pm

uummm, how do you open an actionscript thing?

85. Omar G.

on April 9, 2007 at 10:25 pm

if we’re thinking the same thing right click and go to actions thats the actionscript area(you could also click the actions panel on the bottum.)

if thats not what you mean then i cant help you, sorry.

86. Create a flash game like Security - part 1 at Emanuele Feronato

on April 20, 2007 at 11:41 am

[...] Creating the player is very easy, especially if you read the first part of Flash game creation tutorial – part 1. [...]

87. CBURNS

on May 3, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Hi There

I get this error :
    __________________________________________

**Error** Symbol=Symbol 45, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 18: Syntax error.
    0._visible = “0″;

Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

__________________________________________

When my script looks like this :

onClipEvent (enterFrame)
    {
    if (_parent.entrada == null)
    if (this._xscale

88. Andreius

on May 6, 2007 at 2:47 pm

ive been making a car racing type game, and ive managed designing the levels, made character, added if (Key.isDown(Key. -x-)
    statmentsd to move down and up and ive added rotation for left and right…
    it all works perfect ( no syntax errors)
    but when using up and down keys it uses the default north and south.. i want to know how to get it going forward and back but the way the car is actually facing…

any help at all highly appreciated

thx in advanced

89. Andreius

on May 6, 2007 at 2:49 pm

to burns:

well for us to help you could try showing us line 18

90. mickyas

on May 10, 2007 at 8:53 pm

how do i play the game i made.

91. mickyas

on May 10, 2007 at 8:55 pm

please some1 answer me…

great tutorial emanuel…
    its totaly awsome!

92. tom

on May 16, 2007 at 12:27 pm

OMFG OMFG OMFG
    I CANNOT GET THIS TO WORK!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH FAR OUUUUT!
    I keep getting errors… Every tutorial i do i get
    fuking errors!

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 2, frame=1:Line 1: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 2, frame=1:Line 13: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler

Total ActionScript Errors: 2 Reported Errors: 2

93. Elfvision

on May 20, 2007 at 9:42 am

thanks alot!
    really nice tutorial!
    i was always searching for a tutorial which would teach me how to make objects move using arrow keys and how to give thrust and etc.
    thanks ALOT!
    really liked this tutorial

94. Deimox

on May 20, 2007 at 4:08 pm

First off all i want to thank you for your amazing tut!
    now my idea is to create a ball whose position is equal to mouse position…but that part is easy (_root.[my object]._y = _root.mouse_y and _root.[my object]._x = _root.mouse_y)

now i want to have a canon incorporated in the ball that rotates when i press the left and right arrow keys, this part ir already done too (if(Key.isDown(Key.LEFT)){ this._rotation = 10)

this part is the trouble…
    I dont know how to make it shoot a bullet in the direction wich the cannon is facing…thats were i need your help…

thx
    Deimox

95. flashbynight

on May 28, 2007 at 3:16 am

Good basic tutorial.

Flash is a great tool for small-time developers.

96. A strange way to move the player with Flash at Emanuele Feronato

on May 30, 2007 at 8:15 pm

[...] Line 6: Defining the friction as we do not want the player to move forever. You can find a tutorial about friction here [...]

97. Ted

on June 5, 2007 at 11:35 pm

the first script isnt working:

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Action, frame=5:Line 1: Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) {

Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

98. Creation of realistic spheres in Flash with textures and masking at Emanuele Feronato

on June 10, 2007 at 12:51 am

[...] This code is already explained in this tutorial, and it’s almost the same except it has no gravity since the “camera” is above the objects. [...]

99. Create a Flash ball game with visual from above tutorial at Emanuele Feronato

on June 14, 2007 at 12:48 pm

[...] Being a ball game, I suggest you all to read the basics for a ball game movement in this tutorial. [...]

100. Scott

on June 15, 2007 at 6:38 am

great tutorial! ive been searching google forever trying to find a complete tutorial. although this just has the hero…. its helped me a lot, since i just started flash.

thanks.

101. Samus Man

on June 19, 2007 at 12:21 am

I have to say–this tutorial is looking optimistic. I’m actually entering a competition in less than 30 days, so I need something like this–complete enough to teach me most of what i’ll need and detailed enough so that I can adapt the concepts to my own engine.

102. On the horizon #1 at Emanuele Feronato

on June 24, 2007 at 2:04 am

[...] Next part of the ball game creation tutorial [...]

103. flaming

on June 24, 2007 at 5:26 am

I keep getting this error.

**Error** Symbol=hero, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 1: Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) {

Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

I’ve seen other ppl fix it but didn’t explain how.

Plz help me.

104. flaming

on June 24, 2007 at 5:30 am

Nvm fixed it by clicking the “hero” tab at the bottom.

105. flaming

on June 24, 2007 at 5:48 am

whenever i test it, it rus slowly and shakes. How do i run it without the shaking?

106. eggel

on June 28, 2007 at 12:04 pm

how do u make the hero a moviescript

107. Jimmy P

on June 28, 2007 at 5:40 pm

Hey, I want to start with saying that this is a great tutorial! I just got Adobe Flash CS3 Proffesional a few days ago. And I want to start making a really simple game, so I was wondering how you put this actionscript, and the character that you’ve created, together to make it move?

108. Izz

on July 6, 2007 at 7:45 am

help please!
    I’m pretty new to flash, and ive got a problem with my flash 8. It used to work fine but and when I drew and object and clicked on it, it would be appear normally with a blew rectangle around it. Now when ever I draw something and select it, it automatically has these dots all over it… kind of like it’s already broken apart (I think that’s the term anyway…).
    Anyway, it’s being a bit restricting. Does anyone know how to fix this

109. Tim F

on July 14, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Great Tutorial

The last one (rotation).
    It’s very great!!!
    And usefull to make rolling balls like RocoLoco (PSP).

TF

110. Dan

on July 20, 2007 at 12:25 am

This is a really nice tutorial. But I have a problem. I copy and pasted your script, but my hero still wouldn’t move.

111. BoJaN

on July 20, 2007 at 3:03 am

wow! thank you so much, i’ve been looking for a great tutorial for a long time but all the ones i find start past the basics I usually do coding in
    LSL, a scripting language in an MMO and im out of things to program for it so I wanted to learn somthing different and i’m so happy with this tutorial!! Thanks a bunch!

112. Creation of a Ragdoll with Flash part 1: Verlet integration at Emanuele Feronato

on July 21, 2007 at 2:58 pm

[...] Line 7: Updating euler _y position according to its yspeed. Notice that this method is the same as seen in this tutorial. Anyway, people still call it Euler method instead of Feronato method. [...]

113. shirin

on July 25, 2007 at 7:53 am

hi, i cant open source codes with flash mx 2004. what to do?

114. Create a Flash ball game with visual from above tutorial part 2 at Emanuele Feronato

on August 3, 2007 at 6:35 pm

[...] Lines 9-10: Defining friction and power as explained in Flash game creation tutorial – part 1 [...]

115. SHINOBI

on August 5, 2007 at 8:31 am

I love this tutorial! Thanks so much!

116. Dreamspeaker

on August 8, 2007 at 10:18 am

Where do you get the stuff to make flash games?

117. Flash: Game Tutorials « Rogério Lino

on August 23, 2007 at 11:04 pm

[...] http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/10/29/flash-game-creation-tutorial-part-1/ [...]

118. Controlling a ball like in Flash Elasticity game tutorial at Emanuele Feronato

on September 1, 2007 at 9:10 pm

[...] Lines 5: Hiding the mouse pointer Line 6: Defining the friction. I discussed about friction in this tutorial [...]

119. Landslide Games Blog » Creating our First Game: Part 1

on September 7, 2007 at 7:12 am

[...] After reading through Emanuele Feronato’s site on basic game creation I started to follow his tutorials on making a simple ball game. Intrigued by the simplicity of this idea presented, I started tweaking variables as I continued to read through, adbsorbing new ideas and methods to add complexity to the new prototype I was developing. At the end of a weekend I had finished Coin Chaser, our current first game Proto-type, which is built closely from the simple ideas presented in that tutorial. I added to it some increasing challenges, like patrolling blocks, and a change in game speed at certain marks, but the game felt like a lot was missing. [...]

120. nate

on September 16, 2007 at 2:55 am

where do i get actionsrcipt at

121. Joan

on September 18, 2007 at 1:14 pm

hey… thanks for this tutorial! really helps…

122. | flashgame.gamesforplayers.com

on October 2, 2007 at 1:00 pm

[...] Flash game creation tutorial – part 1 : Emanuele Feronato – blog of March 14th update: part 5.3 released. March 3rd update: part 5.2 released. February 9th update: part 5.1 released. December 31st update: 5th part released. [...]

123. Lazar

on October 5, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Really good tutorial, but I don’t know only one little thing: HOW, TO HELL, WILL I PLAY THIS GAME ON MY COMPUTER? I copied the plain text in *.txt file, but how will I play it?

124. flashgame.gamesforplayers.com » Blog Archive

on October 5, 2007 at 8:47 pm

125. Lazar

on October 6, 2007 at 9:14 am

How, to hell, can I play this game?

126. s0d4player

on October 19, 2007 at 6:33 am

Note to many. If you get this:
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
    your probably putting the actionscript on the frame, not on the movie clip.
    Make sure that you are editing the actionscript on the movie clip.

127. Thibledorf

on October 27, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Hi this is a noobish question but how do I make an action script that dose the same thing as a go to and play command?

I want to make it so that the hero goes to a different scene when you press one of the directional buttons.

128. Thibledorf

on October 28, 2007 at 7:22 pm

Hi, I figured out the answer to my first question but now I need to know how to make it so the directional keys only function when the oposite key is up.

Here is an example of what I mean, using codes that for some reason don’t seem to work:

if (Key.isDown(Key.UP) && Key.isUp (Key.DOWN)) {
    yspeed -= power;
    gotoAndstop(81);

129. Menno

on October 29, 2007 at 11:24 am

Hey guys, just to respond on the refresh button… I searched it for some time too, and found a great solution. This is simulair to the refresh browser button, but now it will only refresh the flash clip.

on(release){
    loadMovieNum(_root._url.substring(_root._url.lastIndexOf(“/”)+1),0);

130. picklejoe

on November 4, 2007 at 8:24 pm

its cool but never works
    does it work on KoolMoves?

131. picklejoe

on November 4, 2007 at 8:28 pm

what the crap???? it never works! not as a sybmol or/and a movie clip!!!!!!!!!

132. Trevor

on November 6, 2007 at 4:34 am

You guys are awsome i want to make a flash game but i dont know how to so ill just keep playing for right now. You guys are awsome!!!!

133. mister dunno

on November 9, 2007 at 7:24 pm

i got only 1 question what program do in need to make a game like this

134. stevie

on November 11, 2007 at 7:07 pm

how do u make a reset button?

135. stevie

on November 11, 2007 at 7:11 pm

how do ya make a reset button

136. stevie

on November 13, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Macromedia Flash

137. josh

on November 23, 2007 at 8:24 pm

wat is the name of this program?

138. josh

on November 23, 2007 at 8:25 pm

oo nvm someone asked that and the answer is above me.. aaha woops

139. none

on November 25, 2007 at 10:53 pm

I have a sprite with a walking animation. if he is moving to the right i want it to play and if he is moving to the left i want it to play backwards, how can i do this?

140. emanuel

on December 1, 2007 at 1:18 am

could u teach me how to make a preloader

141. Ranyo

on December 1, 2007 at 7:16 am

none: walking animation tutorial

142. Liquid Snake

on December 1, 2007 at 10:21 pm

Hello, i need a little help with “Flash”, i wish to start out on the subject, but, i do not know how to get thr right tools for the job, if anyone can help me, it’ll be greatly apretiated

143. tro95

on December 6, 2007 at 1:36 pm

It was a great tutorial but how do you make it so the gravity doesn’t increase and there is a floor which it WONT bounce on???

(\___/)
    (=’.'=)
    (“)_(“)

Meet bunny!!!

144. Keynes

on December 8, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Very nice tutorial. You explain very good! This website I will insert in my favorites one.

Thank you a lot.

Keynes from Brazil

145. Cindy White

on December 19, 2007 at 11:28 pm

Is this Zach Hill from Chesapeake? I know Jim and Connie. Are you into designing and do you use Flash and Dreamweaver often. If you like 3D, I found Electric Rain a good tool as well.
    Cindy White (Porch)Patrick’s mom

146. Joe

on December 29, 2007 at 11:50 pm

hi, i just started learning about making your own flash games and am a complete noob

how do i get started?

147. Thomas

on January 4, 2008 at 7:02 am

To Lazar:

To use this tutorial, you need a program named Macromedia Flash. Not Notepad.

148. Nico

on January 5, 2008 at 1:35 am

hi,

I use Adobe Flash CS3 Professional, after a while i figured out that i must make a movieclip of the ball… then i right-clicked it, clicked on ‘actions’, but then it said: “Current selection cannot have actions applied to it”. I also dont see the name of my instance (hero) under “Scene 1″ at the actions tab.

What am i doing wrong???

149. Nico

on January 5, 2008 at 2:44 pm

I got it already, adobe flash CS3 uses another methode for it.

Using Macromedia Flash 8 solved my problem.

150. m

on January 6, 2008 at 5:56 am

press F9

151. Jack

on January 6, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Im new to flash games etc…

I am using Sothink SWF Decompiler program… is that the right program ?

and i don’t even know how to make the ball so on.. please e-mail me and help :D

jackwattsme14@msn.com

152. Adam Ch

on January 16, 2008 at 6:29 pm

to nico

with cs3 u need to clik actionscript 2.

to jack

u need to use adobe or macromedia flash.

to emanuele feronato

how to do u make it so that left and right rotates but does not move and up is to make it move in the direction it is facing and down is to make it reverse, with a car for example.

153. Create a Flash game like Metro Siberia Underground : Emanuele Feronato - italian geek and PROgrammer

on January 18, 2008 at 3:55 pm

[...] Lines 6-7: Defining ship x and y speeds. x speed never changes. Play with the variables just explained to see how they will affect gameplay. You can find more information about gravity and thrust at Flash game creation tutorial – part 1 [...]

154. bob

on January 22, 2008 at 2:05 am

Hi! First of all, great tutorial!

I’m trying to make a two player game, one controlled with the arrows and another one with keys W A S D. However, when I type:

onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
    if (Key.isDown(Key.”a”)) {
    xspeed -= power;

it doesnt let me use “a” as a key. Please help me, and thank you for the tutorial.

155. stupid

on January 23, 2008 at 6:32 am

It’s not working! this is what the computer spits out:
    **Error** Symbol=Symbol 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=8:Line 2: Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances
    onClipEvent (load) {

**Error** Symbol=Symbol 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=8:Line 10: Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) {

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 1: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 15: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 17: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler

Total ActionScript Errors: 5 Reported Errors: 5

156. Lemony

on February 3, 2008 at 11:07 am

This is atually the best tutorial i have found, the way it takes you step by step, teaching all the variations makes it really easy to learn. Thanks

157. Hallucination

on February 4, 2008 at 11:00 am

your tutorial is brilliant! the only problem is that i have Flash CS3 and the scripting language is quite different. I’m still failing to even get the ‘hero’ to move when i press the arrow keys, but im pretty dim so im not suprised.

158. chris p

on February 7, 2008 at 5:57 pm

what program is best for this?

159. Zach Cross

on February 18, 2008 at 9:26 pm

I can’t find a site to download ActionScript, I know how to do everything, but I can’t find a place to download it! Send link to me in email please.

160. wil

on February 21, 2008 at 9:21 am

sir thanks for this site we student appreciate your hospitality

161. wil

on February 21, 2008 at 9:24 am

sir can you help me in my project using the software adobe flash, my propose game was cayatting can you help me sir pls reply in my email address.tnx

162. Chris Valle

on March 1, 2008 at 6:00 pm

this tutorial answered some of my questions, easy to follow and good results

good job ^_^

163. Tom

on March 10, 2008 at 7:14 pm

damn awsome tutorial!!!!
    and the last window does work with me :)

164. John

on March 13, 2008 at 2:00 am

What is the Actionscript for the reset button

mine keeps giving me an error

165. Nick

on March 22, 2008 at 1:57 am

Hey, Im a new programmer and heard of your tutorials of flash programming by Jimmyr.com and I dont know how to save it like .swf or .as or .html can you help also how do you program it to have those colors and stuff and what programs do you need.

Thanks I know im a noob.

166. Create a Flash ball game using AS3 : Emanuele Feronato - italian geek and PROgrammer

on March 25, 2008 at 9:40 am

[...] am going to create the same prototype explained at Flash game creation tutorial – part 1, just using AS3 The first thing you have to do, is creating the ball itself as a new object, and [...]

167. How The Game “Hungry Plushies” Was Made «

on March 25, 2008 at 6:42 pm

[...] was probobly taken from this tutorial, by Emanuele Feronato. This game just took that tutorial, and made it so that when the right key is [...]

168. GodofWarNL

on April 2, 2008 at 9:12 am

You need to use actionscript 2.0 you use 3.0.

Greetings,

GodofWarNL

169. GodofWarNL

on April 2, 2008 at 9:14 am

You can’t download Actionscript! It’s in included in Flash.

Greetings,

GodofWarNL

170. sam

on April 4, 2008 at 10:23 am

how do you stop it going through the ground

171. Daniel

on April 8, 2008 at 6:10 am

how come whenever i try the very first actionscript it says that it is a movie clip, and that it needs to be a mvoie. Pls someone explain

172. Daniel

on April 8, 2008 at 6:18 am

Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances, thats what it says when i do the first step

173. gimpydingo

on April 10, 2008 at 10:11 pm

OK, so how does the box move diagonal?? When I try to type the code my dot only moves 4 way, not 8. Also what’s the diff in code (I am using CS3).

You have:

if (Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)) {
    _x++;

I tried that and:

if (Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)) {
    this._x++;

So what’s the deal with 8 way movement??

174. Maheshwar Debata

on April 14, 2008 at 12:01 pm

hi,

this tutorial is great,

175. Sander

on April 15, 2008 at 9:06 am

Hey, this is how all tutorials should be! Great!!

I’m experimenting with this code but now I’ve got one question. If I want my hero to stop at ‘Spacebar-hit’ how can I do that?! I set the code

if (Key.isDown(Key.SPACE)) {
    xspeed = 0;
    yspeed = 0

It stops but everything stops haha; the hero is rotated to it’s starting position and my whole movie is stopped and I can’t do anything!?

Have you any ideas for me??

176. Phil

on April 21, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Great tutorial. I finally get flash now!

177. Manieto

on April 25, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Erm probs a pointless question but what software you use for this? =]

178. Rob

on May 2, 2008 at 2:34 am

Hey, this was an awesome intro into Action Script, me and a Friend are hoping to create a flash game and this was a way better starting point than we could have hoped for! Keep up the aweosme work! :)

179. Rob

on May 2, 2008 at 2:35 am

Its for action script on the program flash :)

180. Claire

on May 4, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Hey, i was just wondering if you could tell me
    how to make objects solid, so that your mover
    cannot go on top of them? i have to make a game
    where an image has to move around collecting things but isnt allowed to go through anything.

Claire x

181. Prototype of a Flash game like Floaty Light : Emanuele Feronato - italian geek and PROgrammer

on May 7, 2008 at 7:45 pm

[...] kidding, of course. I made this prototype using the gravity and speed as described in the Flash game creation tutorial – part 1 post, the collision detection as shown in the Create a flash draw game like Line Rider or others – [...]

182. Jestes

on May 9, 2008 at 5:22 am

Okay i just saw the 1st 3 things about the “hero” and i still dont understand how to use this Cs3 stuff. Please email me specificly how to do this and help me out. I just got this program like 1 hour ago. jestes.moderator@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Jestes

183. Brettcr » Blog Archive » Programming Tutorials / Game Making Check Video Description download videos off you tube

on May 12, 2008 at 11:43 pm

[...] Flash Actionscript Game Making Tutorialshttp://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/…http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/…http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/…http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/… [...]

184. Rajiv Srivastava

on May 16, 2008 at 1:12 pm

hi..it’s cool…
    but not given the logic of reset button which is one of the most important part of all game..

185. Elise » Programming Tutorials / Game Making Check Video Description convert youtube video to dvd

on May 19, 2008 at 4:26 am

186. Samuel

on May 20, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Brilliant tutorial…
    Even better than what my eacher could teach me
    and the best thing is…
    I UNDERSTAND IT!
    I will be creating a version of this in the months to come for my website with a christian slant to it…

Thanks for the Tutorial,
    Sam

187. Amy

on May 27, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Hi Emanuele!
    I just wanted to say I absolutly love your tutorials Im quite new to AS and these tutorials have definatly helped me. Here’s a few links to a few games I’ve created.
    Mohiko Go Home:
    Toke it man:
    Baseball Blast:

And theres a new game in the making :D

188. Amy

on May 27, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Hi Emanuele!
    Mohiko Go Home:
    Toke it man:
    Baseball Blast:

And theres a new game in the making :D yay

189. B_Gwra

on June 3, 2008 at 3:32 pm

sir,
    i want to make a carome game. cud u kindly help me. i m confused how to write actionscript 4 a carome game?

190. Step by step AS3 translation of Flash game creation tutorial - part 1 : Emanuele Feronato - italian geek and PROgrammer

on June 11, 2008 at 8:38 pm

[...] Today I am glad to publish the work of Tim Edelaar that translated all AS2 files of the most successful post of this blog, Flash game creation tutorial – part 1. [...]

191. adderrson

on June 12, 2008 at 12:32 pm

this tutorial does not work!

192. will

on June 20, 2008 at 8:45 pm

U need to aply the actions to the ball not the frame :P

193. kamar

on June 25, 2008 at 9:07 pm

really its fantastic, a flash biginner can really use this, thank u

vthanks, wish u good luck

194. halloichbins

on June 30, 2008 at 8:37 pm

I have a question:

if (Key.isDown(Key.DOWN)) {
    yspeed += power*thrust;

Why do you also multiply the power by the thrust? It will slow down the gravity.
    But you just want to slow down the power to go up, actually you would have to power up the power because of gravity (if you press down the DOWN-arrow you would have to be faster down than doing nothing [just acting gravity]).
    I think the thrust just belongs to the UP-arrow.

195. Andy Cook

on July 8, 2008 at 12:55 am

@ halloichbins

He is multiplying the power by the thrust to cut down on the power, not make it easier to go up and try to cancel out gravity. In effect, he is making the power 3/4 of what it should be. You have to multiply it because no matter what the power is, you should only be making it 3/4 as strong every time.

196. noshun

on July 12, 2008 at 5:02 am

OMG thanks I really enjoyed this tutorial! I need AS3 help, as Im a newbie to scripting.

197. Jason

on July 20, 2008 at 3:14 am

Very informative, and less complex than I would have expected

198. hahahaha

on July 22, 2008 at 10:54 pm

what thing do u download to make games??

199. james

on July 23, 2008 at 8:43 am

dude u r my hero

soo many tutorials out there but they make them to confusing urs is nice and simple

and it actually works

good job…

200. Nathan

on July 28, 2008 at 4:08 am

Hi Emanuele

Fantastic site and tutorial!
    But im new to flash so how do you make the code for the reset button???

201. where

on July 28, 2008 at 4:09 pm

where do you put all those action scripts if it is on on flash 8?

202. Nathan

on July 29, 2008 at 12:08 am

reply to where:

inside the hero movieclip.
    open the actions window.

203. Tom

on August 3, 2008 at 1:44 pm

simply you can make a script where on the wall you press the left/right arrow to get off.

204. Tom

on August 3, 2008 at 1:50 pm

flash CS3 proffesional

205. Tom

on August 3, 2008 at 1:51 pm

That means it can only be a movie clip symbol.

206. Tutoriais « Gameslmjb’s Weblog

on August 31, 2008 at 10:33 pm

[...] Emanuele Feronato (Tutorial) http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/10/29/flash-game-creation-tutorial-part-1/ [...]

207. Adobe Flash Tutorial Part 2

on September 8, 2008 at 10:55 am

[...] Flash Game Creation 5 series of tutorial to make a simple game. [...]

208. Malboro Jones

on September 14, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Hiii awesome tutorial!
    I downloaded the file so I could mess around and change things to help me get a bit more understanding, but when I open it to edit in Flash CS3 I cant find the Actionscript! On what frame or where can I find it?
    Thanks!

209. Malboro Jones

on September 16, 2008 at 7:27 pm

I just noticed this is quite an ancient post :P but anyway, I’m using Action Script 1/2 and The
    onClipEvent(load); won’t work,
    I changed it to

function moveball() {
    movement code here

then at the end of the script i put -

this.onEnterFrame = function() {
    moveball();
    works better for me, the onClipEvent just says clipEvent is only for Movie Clips, strange seeing that I had put it on a Mc…

Well its there in case anyone has the same problem.

Im having problems making a border for my game though. I don’t want it to reset when the border is touched I want it to bounce back.
    If anyone can tell me how to do that I will be very happy :) malborojones@hotmail.co.uk

210. Orangatangx

on September 28, 2008 at 2:19 am

I really need help on my game, I made a maze but if I hit a wall, my goal changes its position! Please help me, I can send u the swf so you can see it. Email me please.

211. VexForge

on October 7, 2008 at 9:49 pm

on(release){
    hero._y = 0;
    hero._x = 0;

Figures thats the reset button script…

212. reducedoverlarge » Trailer for the upcoming Echo Wall climbing film

on October 8, 2008 at 7:32 am

213. forfreebigger » Diving with Sharks at the Chumphon Pinnacles, Koh Tao Thailand

on October 9, 2008 at 2:18 pm

214. Omar EL Masry

on October 14, 2008 at 11:04 pm

This is a perfectly designed tutorial … Thanks Really … Five stars indeed

215. Wortho

on October 20, 2008 at 1:19 am

I keep getting the same error message:

1087: Syntax error: extra characters found after end of program.

How do I fix this?

216. Wortho

on October 20, 2008 at 1:22 am

By the way the source is

onClipEvent (load) {

Wont work.

217. Presentation: Flash Games « Dart 381

on October 21, 2008 at 4:16 pm

[...] Flash Game Creation http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/10/29/flash-game-creation-tutorial-part-1/ [...]

218. Beastial Pride

on October 26, 2008 at 3:42 pm

if like me you had the problem of making the ball move, first select your ball, right click it and press convert to symbols on the screen that comes up, click on MovieClip on the type section and look about half way down the text box and you will see a box for “export for actionscript” click that, then press ok,

that seemed to work for me, hope it works for you aswell

P.S great tutorial but it is very different to the other one im using that is on Kongregate Labs, which is “object oriented” (whatever that means).

219. Kurt

on October 26, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Can you tell us the EXACT steps please… You’re just dumping the code and expecting us to know what to do…

220. Nathan

on October 26, 2008 at 6:15 pm

@Kurt

This is as easy as it gets, if you still need something that explains everything, I suggest you go back to the basics, and not move on to coding until your comfortable drawing circles and creating movie clips.

221. Wortho

on October 28, 2008 at 8:25 am

Ok, thanks Beastial, but I kind of figured it out after about an hour of hard thinking :D

For all those who dont know how to do it please do the following steps:

1) Press new file.
    2) Actionscript 2.0 (Not 3.0)
    3) Make an object. Example, a square.
    4) Click the square, then press [F8] to Convert it to a symbol. You can also right click and convert it there.
    5) Make sure it is a movie clip.
    6) Name it Hero instead of the defalt, Symbol 1.
    7) Apply, then press [F9] after it has been converted to a symbol to bring up where you enter in the actionscript. You can also right click and press actions.
    8) Paste the actionscript.
    9) Ok, then press View (I think, but its in the File, Edit, etc… menus) then press test movie. You should have a moving ball.

Smiley face.

222. miki

on November 3, 2008 at 7:05 am

Great tutorials, learn a lot from you, just keep on the good work…

223. random guy

on November 6, 2008 at 12:53 am

Hey, I was wondering what software you used to create the flash game. I’d appriciate it if you could e-mail me a link or a website or something that would help me find it. e-mail me back at esieben@newhorizons.ab.ca

thanks

224. fabio

on November 6, 2008 at 4:32 pm

thank you emanuele. thanks to this tutorial and some code from the samples in flash I devolped a small game called politic fighters. you can find (and play) it at http://lpnl.altervista.org/web/pf.swf
    It’s open source so if anybody wants to modify it here’s the .fla file:

225. Programming Tutorials / Game Making Check Video Description convert files from youtube : nocostlargish

on November 9, 2008 at 4:49 pm

226. couponlargish » Vegas-Promotions.com

on November 10, 2008 at 1:32 pm

227. discountsize » 7 Tips for a Fun Filled Family Holiday Posted By : Johnn

on November 12, 2008 at 11:32 am

228. Gabe

on November 21, 2008 at 2:53 pm

i did all of it axactly as you said.
    but when i tried it out i got a bunch of errors saying that i could only use these actions on a movie clip however my blobby hero thingy already was a movie clip

229. RikaLucia

on November 22, 2008 at 4:56 am

Thanks, Emanuele.
    Awoke from Kongregate told me about you.
    Your tutorial has helped me with creating a game. Not on AS. But on an easier platform.
    Anyway, thanks.

230. pleaser espond asap

on November 27, 2008 at 8:40 pm

What types of programs do i need to make this?
    Where can i download a free and safe link from

231. andreas

on December 21, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Sooooo goooood. thanks. I love you

232. Victor

on January 7, 2009 at 5:28 am

Yep. Been Looking for a decent actionscript tutorial for days and finally found a diamond in a sea of dog crap. Thanks for the great info. I know how much work they are to put together. If you make more tutorials then I’ll get all weird and try to pin all of my hopes and dreams on you like that weirdo from Pakistan and start asking dumb questions like what programs should I use to make a flash game…

Seriously the highest quality tut I’ve seen. Please make more if it is possible

233. neo

on January 8, 2009 at 7:51 am

Where do you download the software for this?

234. The Old Brick

on March 8, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Can we take one step back, please?

What is the development environment that I need to program a Flash game?

Adobe Flash CS4 Professional? (Retail: $699)

Is there a more entry-level (i.e. cheaper) version?

Is there a public-domain version?

Thanks for your help.

235. Actionscript Basics - Keyboard Input

on March 12, 2009 at 6:46 am

[...] a more sophisticated keyboard control, check out Emanuele Feronato’s tutorial. This entry was posted in Actionscript, Tutorials and tagged Actionscript, [...]

236. Crueltyinc

on March 13, 2009 at 3:20 am

I like it. Only prob is the fact that it’s AS 2.0 with action on the movieclips, but it’s a great intro.

237. LyokoJames

on March 27, 2009 at 8:16 am

where exactly do you write the code though?

238. damarcus

on April 13, 2009 at 10:33 am

i remember doing something like this the first time i ever learned flash 2.0… great work!

239. Billigflug

on April 15, 2009 at 12:08 pm

It’s a great tutorial and it helped me a lot. And it brought back memories, when I was still at school and I had my first programming experiences in Delphi. We also had to program a ball and “played” with it by changing the variables.

240. mie

on April 24, 2009 at 10:13 am

i would like to ask how did you do your reset button?i need the exact actionscript for the game im currently developing right now.it was just a simple clicking game….by the way love your tutorial..

241. pligg.com

on April 30, 2009 at 8:28 am

Flash game creation tutorial – part 1 : Emanuele Feronato…

Flash game creation tutorial – part 1 : Emanuele Feronato…

242. lolo

on May 10, 2009 at 2:20 am

hello emmanuele
    this is a nice tutorial but when i make the first step on a new flash doccument it goes wrong, tough i make hero a movie clip.
    i have Flash MX professional 2004 but i cant make an actionscript 2 file in it. is that the problem?

243. jimmy

on May 14, 2009 at 8:01 am

hey, great tutorial, just wondering…
    when the ball is moving, it seems a bit choppy.
    when i raise the “power” factor, it seems to move by that many pixels (ex: power = 4, it moves by 4 pixels)
    could anyone tell me how to make it smoother?
    thnx

244. Create a game like ball revamped | Tutorial Collection

on June 27, 2009 at 5:06 am

[...] View Tutorial No Comment var addthis_pub="izwan00"; BOOKMARK This entry was posted on Saturday, June 27th, 2009 at 8:36 am and is filed under Adobe Flash Tutorials. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. [...]

245. Kiran

on June 27, 2009 at 8:18 pm

i used this tutorial to create a ‘UFO Joe’ style game and it worked perfectly, thanks so much.

anyone getting the ‘ only avalabie to movieclip’ stuff:

select the hero, right click – convert to symbol and choose ‘movieclip’ – you should do this with almost anything you want to code in these kind of tutorials.

246. Ger

on June 29, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I have a question. I drew a ball and I can move it with my cursor but how come it’s slower? Your second example(The one about power) is faster than what i did, and the power on mine is 5. I downloaded your file and it’s as fast as the example in this site, so its not about the computer. Can you help me?

247. Ger

on June 30, 2009 at 3:44 pm

same problem as #203

248. Flash Tutorial

on July 18, 2009 at 2:42 pm

[...] Flash game creation tutorial – part 1 : Emanuele Feronato [...]

249. Tom

on July 20, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Hi, this is very cool. I have traveled on so many websites about gaming tutorials. This is the best man. Very useful!!

250. Dan

on August 9, 2009 at 1:54 am

could someone plz help me? I need to make my object rotate as the mouse moves to point at the mouse. is there any way to do this?

251. Gondai Nathaniel Richard Mgano

on August 24, 2009 at 5:26 pm

thanx 4 the great tutorial i was looking some thing similar using actionscript

Ques:
    is javafx capable of bitting flash

i love pl/sql , java , netbeans THE ONLY IDE!

thanx for the tutorial

252. Moh

on August 31, 2009 at 1:08 pm

I have been through this tutorial and take it as my helping hand. I’m trying to build up a race game kind of thing with fps view. Here the object will increase according to my progress. For a flash based game, I took object as your Hero and have given the script which is in your tutorial. The changes are liked opposite. E.g. when I press the UP key the object goes down so that the view is like I’m going ahead. But the problem is that the result is not coming according to my logic. The object is coming closer with increasing of size but it also changed its x position which I don’t want. Any solution will appreciate.

253. Dark Link

on September 27, 2009 at 5:09 am

well i was looking for something mre like a different sprite when you click a buton like click left and plays sprite link move left can u help ????thnx :3

254. zeus

on October 5, 2009 at 2:20 am

these tutorials are great

I’m already familiar with graphical design and pro at coding, I just needed this kind of reference to tie them together.

thanks!

255. nectarinegames

on October 9, 2009 at 3:45 am

I would like to do this tutorial in ActionScript 3.

Thanks for your work Emanuele!

256. Yaoo

on October 10, 2009 at 7:17 am

man, u should be a professor at the university where i study at. Some one like u will be relly usefull.

257. Yaoo

on October 10, 2009 at 7:18 am

i mean college hehe.. i study at college

258. Steve

on October 10, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I was actually planning to buy a book and study more about actionscript, then I found your website!! This is Great, Nice tutorial, easy to understand & very straight forward, keep up the good work !!

259. [Flash CS4] - x y-Bewegung in Vektoren? - Flashforum

on October 13, 2009 at 1:43 pm

[...] [...]

260. Flash Games Master

on October 13, 2009 at 11:01 pm

This is great info. I am currently gathering as muc info on flash game creation as i am hopefully going to try to build some of my own.

I am sure this guide will come in handy at somepoint. You are bookmarked.

261. Darth

on October 18, 2009 at 6:22 am

This is a great tutorial except I have a question about using the rotation method. My movieclip is rotating around a point that seems to be on the outside or corner of the actual image. Is there a way to rotate around the center point?

262. Triqui’s Picks #1 : Emanuele Feronato

on October 18, 2009 at 2:24 pm

[...] difficulty: the concept has been discussed in my first Flash game tutorial… [...]

263. wild_ocelot

on October 27, 2009 at 1:16 am

hi, i have 1 easy and very easy ask, what i need for make all that?

264. Newbio

on November 8, 2009 at 5:46 am

Simple and practical, nice job

265. daysdarkness

on December 13, 2009 at 4:14 am

It’s all great and wonderful to know what to type, but would it be possible for you to explain why you type what you do, so, for example, I could create it myself and not copy and paste?

e.g.
    why do you do xspeed? what does that do
    What is += mean?
    e.g.

It’s definitely helpful to see what everything does, though, it would be nice to see what happens for each individual thing.

266. daysdarkness

on December 13, 2009 at 4:27 am

sry to double post, but
    _y–;
    why does that go up?

I’d guess that it would mean image goes to -oo
    (on y-x grid)
    …….^ Y(+)
    …….|
    …….|
    (-)____|____>X(+)
    …….|
    …….|
    …….|(-)

So Y++ should go up? I mean X++ goes right(+oo)
    You have it so that Y– goes up

And is there a z-axis?

267. mooo

on January 2, 2010 at 7:17 am

what program do you use

268. Making a basic flash game! HELP! - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

on January 6, 2010 at 1:19 am

[...] found this quite helpful when I was looking into that sort of thing http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006…torial-part-1/ __________________ My case mod project: Millennium Falcon NZXT Rogue Black/Blue LED For [...]

269. Flash Game Development for Beginners — FlashRealtime.com

on January 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm

[...] Check it out here [...]

270. Mal kurz rundgeschaut… #9 – Braekling.de

on January 23, 2010 at 10:44 am

[...] Flash Game Creation Tutorial – Eine mehrteilige Anleitung von Emanuele Feronato. [...]

271. zard

on January 23, 2010 at 10:44 pm

How good that there is someone who cares about newbies here is my recomendation another thing i did for the friction effect was
    if(key right is down)
    _x += sp;
    if(sp < 0)
    sp -= friction;
    and the contrary for left i am very surprised how many comments you have thans a lot for making pages for us newbies

272. Asim

on January 24, 2010 at 6:42 pm

SUCH A NICE TUTORIAL I had EVER SEeeENN :)

but i am converting it to Action Script 3.0 with object Orientation

273. Great tutorial for Game developer beginners « rksaran

on January 25, 2010 at 12:22 pm

[...] tutorial for Game developer beginners http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/10/29/flash-game-creation-tutorial-part-1/ [...]

274. DannyDaNinja

on January 25, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Thanks! This really helped

275. Smith

on January 26, 2010 at 1:51 am

What program I have to use ? flash cs4 ?

276. shashi preetham

on February 15, 2010 at 2:04 am

This was very intersting to me that for doning the games by ourselves this very unbeliveable its very nice for doing games by adding the game code.
    Thankyou
    Shashi

277. Box2D Flash game creation tutorial – part 1 : Emanuele Feronato - italian geek and PROgrammer

on February 19, 2010 at 2:16 am

[...] My first Flash game tutorial ever was Flash game creation tutorial – part 1. [...]

278. tim

on March 26, 2010 at 6:52 pm

i am a beginner when it comes to coding have experience using flash for web sites always been interesting in making games, can’t seem to get the code to work tried creating a ball using the shape tool then changed it to a movie clip, didn’t work all i get is……

1087: Syntax error: extra characters found after end of program.
    please help!!!! so grateful to anyone who knows my mistake or what i am not doing

tried just creating a movie clip then creating the ball using the shape tool but I still get the same message please help i really need to get this because i want to start learning coding for small game development using flash cs4 please someone give direction thanks alot.

279. Saiyasodharan

on May 21, 2010 at 5:01 pm

This is my first flash game tutorial and its simple and the best :D
    Thanks a lllootttttt…. :)

280. Mr.Blue

on May 24, 2010 at 3:38 am

What programs did you guys use to make that?

Please.

281. Leandro

on May 26, 2010 at 6:54 am

Simply the best actionscript 2.0 tutorial (not only game tutorial) for beginers that i found in the hole web.
    Really, really nice job. I can say that most of my progress is due to your tutorials.

Thanks again.

282. jeffrey

on May 27, 2010 at 7:33 am

that’s a cool tutorial, but how do I make the reset button

283. Paisakamana

on June 6, 2010 at 1:13 am

I would like to see a tutorial in how to create a multiplayer flash game for facebook application maybe combined with some PHP ? :)

284. babalack sheep

on June 22, 2010 at 1:03 pm

can you help me with my thesis.. it’s CAI i wanna learn how to make a simple game tutorial for prep school.. email me pls… i badly need help of anyone :c

285. Xelomorph Invader

on July 10, 2010 at 2:43 am

Which program is dis???

286. Marco

on July 20, 2010 at 6:28 am

when i try to make the camera follow the ball it doesn’t works! Actually i’m making a little different from you. The “Hero” is a Baloon and named like that. instead of “wall” i made a grounds (don’t ask why there’s an “s”) so, back to the problem, the baloon doesn’t move! my lines are like that:

onClipEvent (load) {
    _root.grounds._x -=xspeed;
    if (_root.grounds.hitTest(this)) {
    xspeed = 0;
    yspeed = 0;
    _x = 120;
    _y = 120;

and the error message is that:
    Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 1, Frame=1: Line 33: Syntax error.

Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 1, Frame=1: Line 10: Statement block must be terminated by ‘}’
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) {

Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 1, Frame=1: Line 33: Syntax error.

HELP ME!

287. Kevin

on July 20, 2010 at 8:20 am

Hi !I’m eleven and i’m new to flash.Do anyone know how to create the reset button

288. Aly

on August 3, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I don’t under stand these,can you please tell me what this mean!??
    xspeed *= friction;
    yspeed *= friction;
    _y += yspeed;
    _x += xspeed;

289. Adi

on August 13, 2010 at 9:07 pm

This tutoral helped me a lot in building my first game, thnx Emanuele.

290. Tamas

on August 15, 2010 at 12:07 am

Hey!
    I’m a very beginner in the game making, but I want to learn it.
    Here is a simple question:
    I don’t understand the scripts.. Do you use a programm to write these, or you only write those scripts into a notepad?
    If you’re write them in a notepad then what the type of the format that in you save it?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question:S

291. Icaro Pio

on August 16, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Hey good guy, thx for the tutorial, u rox!

292. Samuel

on August 21, 2010 at 2:29 am

Hey Emmanuele, this is a pretty good tutorial to get started(ahh the nostalgia of learning actionscript). However, I haven’t had the oppurtunity to learn AS3 yet, so is there any chance of converting this tutorial to AS3 or just making a separate tutorial explaining how AS3 works? Thanks.

293. noob

on August 21, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I know im a noob and i suck, but when i put the hero rotating, he looks really wierd. Can u help me???

294. HTML5 game creation prototype - Emanuele Feronato

on September 14, 2010 at 11:46 pm

[...] a Flash game like Blockage Create a Lightbox effect only with CSS – no javascript neededFlash game creation tutorial – part 1Create a Flash Racing Game TutorialTriqui MochiAds Arcade plugin for WordPress official pageFlash [...]

295. Flash | Raccolta tutorial Flash

on September 16, 2010 at 2:26 pm

[...] http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/10 … al-part-1/ [...]

296. nubtime!

on September 19, 2010 at 12:52 am

ok, im getting it and most of the code makes sense although i dont have much programming experience but when i declare the power variable and compile my stuff to check out the video clip, it doesnt change my movement speed! Please help me/point to another tutorial/email me.

Thanks!

297. nubtime!

on September 19, 2010 at 1:05 am

hey sorry about my last comment… i just found my error and im good to go!

298. suresh

on September 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm

what are the advantages and disadvantages of gif file format images.please help me this is a quick problem for me.

299. Superman Games

on September 22, 2010 at 3:36 am

I find this tutorials real helpful. Thank you, but I would like to see more complex codes in the site, please.

300. ComputerProgrammingTutorials

on September 25, 2010 at 1:58 pm

very helpful stuff.

301. karim

on September 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

very nice tutorial.
    I learned a lot from it.
    May be interesting to note the version of AS to not disturb beginners.
    thanks a lot.

302. Dave

on October 4, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I want to make a character card game similar to Yugioh, but with its own characters and enhancements. I can provide a storyboard for the game and am willing to help with the programming, even though I am a complete novice. Can you help me with this?

303. Basic FlashPunk game prototype using Flash IDE - Emanuele Feronato

on October 6, 2010 at 4:01 pm

[...] Alchemy Port + World Construction Kit Create a Lightbox effect only with CSS – no javascript neededFlash game creation tutorial – part 1Create a Flash Racing Game TutorialTriqui MochiAds Arcade plugin for WordPress official pageFlash [...]

304. beginner

on October 8, 2010 at 3:03 pm

oh no… another tutorial that i have to add to my favorites and i still have so much to learn :(

thank you Emmanuelle for all your tutorials!! :)

305. mbence

on October 19, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Thank You for this great tutorial! I realy enjoyed it!
    It was simple, clear and very useful!

306. josh

on October 21, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Can i use the code in a game am building ?

307. 8 Online Resources for Budding Flash Game Designers | Flash downloader

on November 16, 2010 at 10:11 am

[...] Feronato is a self-described geek and programmer who offers many useful tutorials on his blog. His Flash game tutorial, in particular, has become a very popular resource for hobbyists and professionals [...]

308. pat isley

on December 3, 2010 at 11:53 pm

One key consideration you may want to take here is that in terms of speed, the hero moves faster when he moves in a diagonal direction (ie, up + rt, vs rt.). This similar to why running sideways (using c buttons) in Goldeneye N64 would allow you to outrun other characters. It’s because the vector sum of two perpendicular vectors is greater than the magnitude of either. Gotta love the phys. of game development.

309. Thwap Thwap

on December 18, 2010 at 11:03 am

Hey, i was wanting to create a helicopter-like game, so, how would you write an actionscript for a helicopter? sorry, i cant write actionscript at all.

Example is, helicopter achieves max velocity, therefore it does not rotate anymore. also when you let go of left / right keys, it returns to original, horizontal state…..?

310. The Guy

on January 3, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Hi there. I tried first 2/3 script codes and I realised that my ball isn’t as smooth going as yours. What is happening? Is is only test window fault?

311. Steve

on February 12, 2011 at 3:11 am

how do you even create the character. I cant figure that out!!!

312. ninjanater

on February 12, 2011 at 4:54 am

i am complete begginer to this kind of thing, i have done bits of html amd javascript and i have a couple problems i hope someone could help me with.

first: in my program (notepad++) it says im using flash actionscript is that right?

second: how do you turn the actionscripts into a game?

313. Klevis Miho

on March 10, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Very nice and simple totorial.
    Like a breeze.

314. 20+ Websites To Help You Learn Flash and ActionScript

on March 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm

[...] 22. EMANUELE FERONATO [...]

315. 20+ Websites To Help You Learn Flash and ActionScript | Free Web Design Tucson

on March 13, 2011 at 10:14 am

[...] 22. EMANUELE FERONATO [...]

316. 20+ Websites To Help You Learn Flash and ActionScript | EzraMod | WordPress , Joomla , Template , Graphic , Theme , Style

on March 19, 2011 at 7:22 am

[...] 22. EMANUELE FERONATO [...]

317. 20+ Websites To Help You Learn Flash and ActionScript | General Zone

on March 20, 2011 at 11:17 pm

[...] 22. EMANUELE FERONATO [...]

318. 20+ Websites To Help You Learn Flash and ActionScript - Flash24h.com | Th? gi?i Flash c?a b?n!

on April 15, 2011 at 1:56 am

[...] 22. EMANUELE FERONATO [...]

319. Matt C

on April 17, 2011 at 7:48 am

The action script for the reset button is

on (release) {
    _root.hero._x = 231;
    _root.hero._y = 20;

320. 20+ Websites To Help You Learn Flash and ActionScript | Blackhat Money

on April 19, 2011 at 11:03 am

[...] 22. EMANUELE FERONATO [...]

321. santosh

on April 26, 2011 at 11:27 am

dear sir,
    The code you provided are absolutely fantastic for rocket game or for aircraft game.

Thank you very much for your support.

322. Manny

on May 6, 2011 at 1:58 am

Wow! This is really helpfull!
    I am currently studying Game Design and I been focusing on doing Flash Games so this is going to help me a lot, Thank You and I hope to see more wonderful tutorials such as this one! ;)

323. sumi

on June 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm

this is awesom !!!!
    as i currently learning about game creation its is quit usefull for me….

324. Xelon

on June 29, 2011 at 3:12 pm

erm… got my first problem. my character won’t move. Getting these errors:

Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=1, Line 1 Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances
    Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=1, Line 6 Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances

325. Christopher

on July 5, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Awesome tutorial!!! Wheres the next one? (0_0)?

326. sucala

on July 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Thaks a lot for sharing. it helped me a lot.

327. brandon

on August 2, 2011 at 10:18 pm

When I add the code to a layer I want, this pops up in an error window:
    **Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Car, frame=1:Line 1: Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) {

Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1
    What does this mean and how can I fix it?

328. moke

on August 16, 2011 at 7:12 am

wawwhh.. good tutorial..

329. 21 Helpful Websites to Learn Flash and ActionScript | blueblots.com

on September 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm

[...] EmanueleFeronato.com is an Actionscript game programming blog which provides a lot of resources about flash, photoshop, php tutorials, scripts and source codes. Visit Site [...]

330. luis

on October 3, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Very good! Thanks.

331. Bibliography « bringouttheengine

on October 21, 2011 at 3:43 am

[...] 06/10/2011 http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/10/29/flash-game-creation-tutorial-part-1/ 06/10/2011 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_engine 20/10/2011 [...]

332. harsh panwar

on October 21, 2011 at 11:57 am

what is action script?
    how to use it?

333. Óscar M

on October 25, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Congrats, one of the best tutorials i’ve seen.

334. Rimmler

on December 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Hey man awesome tutorial.

But I have a little question: Where do I start?
    What softwear is required to make a game?
    Please answer as fast as you can.

335. Chaghtai

on December 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm

It is really a very good tutorial and I think the writer of this tutorial has very clear picture of the subject in his mind. A reader when gets such tutorials, he not only learn the subject but interest in the subject is also created in his mind.

336. 20+ Websites To Help You Learn Flash and ActionScript « Education

on December 18, 2011 at 1:57 pm

[...] 22. EMANUELE FERONATO [...]

337. arun

on January 3, 2012 at 3:23 pm

how to develop ball bouncing with key board event???

338. bleh

on January 14, 2012 at 2:43 am

Where can i get ActionScript?

339. ripon

on January 19, 2012 at 7:37 am

I want the ball to move when I press a key.The ball will move to the left if I press left key, to the right if right key is pressed,to the jump if i press up key . when the ball down the line the ball star first time.

340. xxx

on January 25, 2012 at 1:16 am

GREAT tutorial! Good Job! Realism and playability just like u said:P

341. Create Flash Games | Leonardo França

on January 27, 2012 at 5:20 pm

[...] by Emanuele Feronato showing simple and objective way of creating games using Adobe Flash Part 1 http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/10/29/flash-game-creation-tutorial-part-1/ the end of each tutorial has a link to the following [...]

342. Suman Acharya

on February 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm

wow nice tutorial….your website is awesome !

343. andy

on March 11, 2012 at 1:12 am

Damn!

Now that I finally got Flash IDE to work in Linux (using axdt and Eclipse) I find out that I can’t open those .fla files included in the source zip!

It would be a lot better if these were included as .as3 source so we can compile it ourselves. Instead, we will have to copy-paste the code from the code boxes…ugh…

344. basker

on April 18, 2012 at 11:07 am

fantastic sir but if i would been in video mode it could have been grat anyway thanks a lot

345. basker

on April 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

fantastic sir but if it would been in video mode it could have been grat anyway thanks a lot

346. shakthi

on April 19, 2012 at 7:56 am

I’m a beginner.I’m very mush interested in designing flash game.Can you give me the name of the software you have used ?? and certain guidelines to become a good game designer.

347. Make a Flash Game

on May 7, 2012 at 2:10 pm

really good beginner tutorial

348. sam

on May 15, 2012 at 1:27 am

me and my freind want to make a flash game about guns and stick figures. how would you create the different levels, figures, graphics and subtitles/speech.

349. sam

on May 15, 2012 at 1:29 am

can you send me some tips, and what you think….

im the same sam as above.

350. Simple Ball Platformer « greenhorngamesdotcom

on June 17, 2012 at 7:31 am

[...] being the first time I’ve used Actionscript 2 I started by completing a few tutorials. each tutorial took about a class to complete if I used the previous tutorial as a [...]

351. xXStickymaster

on August 22, 2012 at 8:16 am

I always wanted to make my own flash game. This tutorial just showed me the first step. Very helpful and easy. Thanks a lot!

352. Roman

on September 5, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Anyone who has this “error” write to me…

353. Claptrap The Third

on September 25, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Wow. awesome tutorial, finnaly I found a tut worth actually reading. thanks for everything now I can finnaly make my own flash games :] many thanks.

354. anri

on October 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm

1 word for your tutorial
    “….AWESOME…..”

355. Rad

on October 31, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Hey! Nice tutorial! But Im having trouble with converting these scripts into Class files (If it is possible), heres mine, it doesnt have errors, But I cant make it working :(

class Ship1 extends MovieClip

if (Key.isDown(Key.DOWN))
    yspeed += power;

xspeed *= friction;
    yspeed *= friction;
    _y += yspeed;
    _x += xspeed;

SOmeone help me with this! :( Thanks!

356. Oyun

on December 15, 2012 at 8:02 pm

what program do you use

357. Flash Tutorial Websites | college200

on January 31, 2013 at 4:26 pm

358. marlo

on April 5, 2013 at 10:11 pm

IS there anyway you can show me how to do this in cs 5.5 as you cant put scripts in objects on actionscript 3

359. sebastian