If you are a PHP developer, you should know what is CakePHP.
CakePHP is a rapid development framework for PHP that provides an extensible architecture for developing, maintaining, and deploying applications.
While the framework has a lot of documentation and reference guides available for beginners, developing more sophisticated and scalable applications require a deeper knowledge of CakePHP features, a challenge that proves difficult even for well established developers.
CakePHP 1.3 Application Development Cookbook will show you over 60 great recipes for developing, maintaining, and deploying web applications with CakePHP.
This is a quick list of what you will learn with this book:
* Add authentication to an application to identify which controllers will need user access, using the Auth component and ACL component
* Allow users to log in using either a user name, or an email, and let the system remember their account details
* Enable and leverage the use of the Containable behavior to deal with model bindings
* Make run time changes to model bindings for a better control of your model relationships
* Perform relatively complex GROUP and COUNT queries using CakePHP’s built in find types and use virtual fields for a cleaner approach to SQL based calculations
* Creating custom find operations, and paginating its result using CakePHP’s built in pagination support
* Add multiple validation rules per field using built in validation rules in CakePHP
* Allow users to search address records by proximity by adding location information to our own Address model using the Geocodable behavior
* Implement your own datasource by providing a way to read from and post messages to a twitter account using OAuth as the authentication layer
* Modify an existing datasource by adding better transaction support to the MySQL driver and implementing locking operations
* Take advantage of the routing flexibility in CakePHP by creating your own route handlers
* Build non interactive tasks that run in the command line, including the automation of tasks
* Internationalize all areas of your application, including views and model records, to reach a wider audience
I am currently reading it and I find it very well written, with a lot of examples and pictures which will follow you through the creation of any kind of application.