Box2D for Flash Games book is on the shelves!

Today is a great day for blog followers and Box2D lovers.

Announced last summer, here it comes Box2D for Flash Games book, the guide to create amazing and realist physics-based Flash games using Box2D!!

The book adopts the same “no boring theory” style of my blog posts, and through 150 pages of pure AS3 will teach you how to design blockbuster physics game and handle every kind of collision, build and destroy levels piece by piece, and create vehicles and bring them to life with motors.

The eight detailed chapters will show you how to:

* Create a physics world with gravity
* Manage materials assigning physics properties
* Interact with physics bodies using mouse or keyboard
* Build vehicles with joints and motors
* Handle every kind of collision
* Add forces and impulses to bodies
* Turn your graphic assets into physics bodies
* Fire bullets and destroy bodies

Everything you will learn will be used to create a game, with real world examples.

If you know AS3, the creation of Box2D games will be a piece of cake, otherwise you can start from my other book Flash Game Development by Example, then dive into Box2D world.

I’ve put a lot of effort in the making of the book, fighting against pagecount and delivery time, and I hope you all like it.

Buy Box2D for Flash Games!!

Rate this post: 1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (11 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

1. ShockScott

on November 28, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Por fin lo estaba esperando desde octubre y me hicieron esperar hasta hoy, pero que bien que ya esta liberado!!!!

2. Amer

on November 28, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Great news

3. finalbossgamers

on November 28, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Outstanding job Eman you are an inspiration to us all.

4. Andy

on November 28, 2012 at 11:50 pm

How do I get the discount? or has that finished now? I go to buy it and it goes up to 8.99?

5. joe the plumber

on November 28, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Congratulations. I am considering buying your book but I have 2 questions that need answering before I do

1. Which version of box2d is this book based on?
    2. Will you continue to support and update the examples for possible new versions of box2d?

on November 29, 2012 at 1:06 am

@andy: sorry, I don’t know, that’s on publisher side

@joe the plumber: it’s based on 2.1a and I will do my best to keep the examples up to date

7. Franklin

on November 29, 2012 at 1:12 am

Do these examples use stage3d? For mobile devices’ sake, I’d like to use the gpu, is that by default in flash?

8. ChrisM

on November 29, 2012 at 1:53 am

I look forward to reading it!

Are you going to put any of the demos from the book online, or any supplementary stuff that didn’t fit in the page count?

Awesome job!

9. siddharth shekar

on November 29, 2012 at 8:44 am

I already bought the ebook.. some 3 days ago :P. Was waiting for it very eagerly. Awesome stuff, It would be nice if you could put some supplementary stuff on the blog.

10. fjckls

on November 29, 2012 at 9:12 am

Got it too yesterday..looks great – maybe do a post or two about cameras too. Thanks!

11. Box2D for Flash Games book is on the shelves! – Emanuele Feronato « eaflash

on November 30, 2012 at 10:48 am

[...] on http://www.emanueleferonato.com Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like [...]

12. Z

on December 1, 2012 at 1:42 am

Preordered about a month ago but they still haven’t even released the ebook yet. Any ETA on when that’s out at least?

13. Franco

on December 1, 2012 at 2:24 am

Yeah, preordered also, and ebook still not available. whats up?

14. DuqueKarl

on December 1, 2012 at 3:38 am

Got it today!! ;) Thank you very much for the eBook and all your amazing work, Emmanuele!

15. Flash games

on December 1, 2012 at 4:58 am

Sweet blog I want to make a flash game

16. Box2D for Flash Games book is on the shelves! – Emanuele Feronato | Helseo

on December 1, 2012 at 8:10 am

[...] article: Box2D for Flash Games book is on the shelves! – Emanuele Feronato This entry was posted in Game and tagged game by admin. Bookmark the [...]

17. Davide

on December 1, 2012 at 11:36 am

Z, the ebook is out: if you preorder it on Packt you should find it downloadable in your profile, I found it 2-3 days ago, in my account => my downloads section :)

18. BEE DIGITAL

on December 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I have same problem like Z, I pre-ordered this book on 21st September and in download section in my Packt profile I have any download link yet. So probably if you found download link for this book 2-3 days ago, in my and Z case is goes something wrong. I’ll contact support on pack publishing and we’ll see.

19. Rafael Lima

on December 2, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Cursed staff Packtpub, ran the pre order 28th September. Until now i no have the link to download the ebook on my profile. SHITTTTTTTT.

20. Z

on December 3, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Yup just got it last night, they said they we’re closed over a long weekend or something but all good now. Awesome book, Thanks heaps E!

21. DuqueKarl

on December 5, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I am reading the book and enjoying it, it’s cool upto now!! ;)

Emanuele, I found a little format “errata” on page 26 (or 39) – it says:
    Density, friction, and restitution must be added to the fixture,
    so change the Main function by adding the following lines:public
    function Main() {

22. Janitha

on December 22, 2012 at 9:48 am

Excellent approach to make the reader understand the Box2D world. (Y)

23. guest

on December 27, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Great book, i bought today in Packtpub, together with “Flash Game Development by Example”. Regards from Poland.

on December 27, 2012 at 7:51 pm

wow, thank you!

25. Seke1412

on January 2, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Hi Emanuele,
    I’m really interested in Physics and Box2D, so i cannot stop reading your book for the whole day. I’ve just finished the first two chapters, but there is something you’re not explain in your code, that make me really confuse. Why do all the entity share just one bodyDef/fixture/polygonShape? (e.g. the ball and the floor in your very first Example). I wonder if there is any reason for that, or can we create new bodyDef for each entity to help code more clear? will it effect our code later in some-ways? Does each bodyDef represent an entity, so the whole project need only one?

Please help Ema. I’m so excited, and I can’t stop reading.

on January 2, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Hello Seke, once you’ll step into the chapter which will explain the creation of compound objects, everything will be clear!!

27. Seke1412

on January 3, 2013 at 6:14 am

I must say that your book worth every penny Ema. That’s really great! Just keep reading.

28. Carlos

on January 5, 2013 at 3:09 am

Great book Emanuele, i got it on 3rd Week December, i’m so excited and i can’t stop reading and write examples codes in chapters, Regards from Porto city – Portugal

29. Review of Box2D for Flash Games (Author: Emanuele Feronato) | Chris Moeller Web • Engineering, Design and Programming

on January 11, 2013 at 5:30 am

[...] had announced it back in the end of November on his blog ( http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2012/11/28/box2d-for-flash-games-book-is-on-the-shelves/ ), and I couldn’t wait to get my hands [...]

30. Box2D for Flash Games demos in LibGDX with Projects for Desktop, Android, and HTML5 | Chris Moeller Web • Engineering, Design and Programming

on January 13, 2013 at 12:18 am

[...] I would recommend picking up his book if you are interested in Box2D, and want to understand these demos from his book better. His site is also one of the best for tutorials an examples for beginner and intermediate game developers. (http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2012/11/28/box2d-for-flash-games-book-is-on-the-shelves/) [...]

31. SEVEN years of blogging - Emanuele Feronato

on July 15, 2013 at 10:37 am

[...] Box2D for Flash Games book is on the shelves! [...]

32. Héctor

on February 26, 2014 at 6:30 am

I got it early this month and within a week I made my first Box2D game, now I’m working on another one; you are really good. :D