Flash math game in less than 2KB

Sometimes I make some experiments about fitting complete games into a ridiculously small amount of space.

I already published a complete Flash Sokoban game in less than 2KB and a complete Bejeweled game in less than 2KB, this time I want to show you an original math game concept made in less than 2KB (well, actually exactly 2KB).

The game is similar to Globez, you must draw a path with the mouse to select circles. Every circle has a number in it, and the sum of all selected circles must match one of the shrinking circles on the right. Once a circle on the right becomes too small, it’s game over.

I managed to include backtracking, a “not that flat” scoring system and a level progression. Unfortunately the game has no “Play again” button but all in all we are talking about a 2KB game.

Here is the game, I am curious to know your best score:

And here is the script, probably there are still some bytes to save:

I was able to save some space by replacing Point type with an Object with x and y variables.

A full version of the game with some more features is due in some days.

Download the source code.

Rate this post: 1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (12 votes, average: 4.67 out of 5)

1. YopSolo

on November 4, 2013 at 8:55 pm

(985 pts)
    good game idea
    but please use more kb for selectable = false on textfields and a bigger font size :)

2. jakubgondek

on November 4, 2013 at 11:09 pm

1234
    Lvl: 3

Surprisingly playable.

3. Wadeck

on November 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm

You can save kb from “;” and “public” no ? Dunno if you consider the spaces when you count the weight, but you can show a code beautified + code minified in order to reduce weight but keep readable code.

on November 5, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Wadek, if I omit “public” bytes count increases, quite weird isn’t it

5. Visitor

on November 6, 2013 at 1:00 am

Please can you suggest some good italian websites to submit flash games?
    If you can provide submit page link.
    Thanks

6. Wadeck

on November 6, 2013 at 11:51 am

Interesting point to know :)

7. Lo Sauer

on November 8, 2013 at 9:35 am

Very nice. And great work. You should participate in a Hackathons with code-size limits of 512By, 1kb, 4k and so on.

8. Zimmerstein

on November 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Hi there Emanuele! I keep getting your blog when googling for flash related stuff (really liked the monetization series (and I’m still damn curious how big was your deal with newgrounds)). Also I like all the tools you introduced to me!

Only thing which could be better would be if your coding style used more spaces :D

Cheers

9. Creating your own backgrounds with Adobe Photoshop Scripting - Emanuele Feronato

on November 12, 2013 at 12:02 am

[...] bit different: I was looking for a background full of numbers to use in the enhanced version of my Flash math game in less than 2KB so I started googling a bit until I stumbled upon a series of images like these [...]

10. Ed Moore

3196
    Lvl: 7
    Sum: 19
    Game Over

14. Uwe

on January 27, 2014 at 9:28 pm

HI, can anyone explain a little bit the function for mousedown, mouse move and mouse up??

Thanks!!